The Great Gatsby, directed by Baz Luhrmann, is a feast for the eyes; with style collaborations including Prada for the flapper dresses, Tiffany's for the 1920s inspired diamonds and pearls, and Brooks Brothers for the men's suits. No doubt there will be some Daisy and Gatsby couples for Halloween this year, as well as parties and weddings with The Roaring 20's themes.
Sporting the 1920s flapper style is fun, but it can also look very costumey and downright cheesy. Luckily with the rise in 1920 style, thanks to The Great Gatsby and Downton Abbey, modern brands like Rachel Zoe and Alice + Olivia have created vintage and art deco-inspired pieces which offer very modern interpretations of the trend.
Tips on Keeping the Gatsby-Inspired Style Modern
- Wear only a few pieces at a time. You don't want to be in head-to-toe vintage (unless it's Halloween).
- Keep the hair and makeup modern.
- Find pieces, like the ones above, which are loose interpretations of the trend.
- Think sleek. The Alice + Olivia dress for example, has the silhouette of a flapper dress without all the beading and fringe.
- For sparkly pearl accessories, try a bridal site. They have a lot of the Gatsby-inspired jewelry, all with a modern design.
- Remix modern pieces from your wardrobe. Layer sparkly bracelets with pearls, or create your own tassel necklace by tying a knot at the end.
Pictured above: 1. 1920s cloche hat - etsy.com // 2. A wear beaded tank,$100 - awear.com // 3. Rachel Zoe antique jewelry art deco tassel earrings - neimanmarcus.com // 4. Bebe embellished head band - bebe.com // 5. Alice Olivia flapper inspired dress - aliceandolivia.com // 6. Kate spade pearl statement necklace - katespade.com // 7. 1928 crystal jewelry pearl cuff - 1928.com // 8. Judith leiber art deco minaudiere - neimanmarcus.com // 9. A Wear black beaded skirt - $92 - awear.com // 10. Boutique 9 platform sandals - bloomingdales.com
Related: Accessories on Film: The Tiffany & Co Great Gatsby Collection